Monday, January 29, 2018

Hopeful

Things seem to going a bit better (crosses fingers, throws salt, knocks wood...). B really seems to be working hard at turning his mood around instead of getting stuck deeper and deeper into perpetual despair. L is still a wildcard, but he has his moments of being fun & curious & snuggly, and then there are the moments of demon-child that are so so ridiculously bad they are almost, sometimes, funny.

We actually had a good weekend. Another nice weather day on Saturday and I took B for errands and both kids to the park. Sunday rained but turned out...not terrible. We did watch a movie. I got my workouts in, cooked yummy stuff (African peanut stew from OhSheGlows, so so so good), had social time (playdate, talked to other mom), and overall felt like it was too short and not ready for Monday!

I finished one of my favorite books in a long time: Little Fires Everywhere, by Celeste Ng. I actually listened to this---my first audiobook---and it was still completely engrossing and I was sad for it to end. I will definitely consider autdiobooks more often.  I don't have another amazing book lined up. I gave up on "What Happened", and I'm sort of making my way through "One in a Million Boy" which I bought at some point for a dollar, but its not at all what I expected and I'm finding it hard to follow for some reason, and its impossible to go back and "remind yourself" on an ebook.


G is taking B to social skills, so I will get L and read with him and maybe play a bit before making our Plated meal (shrimp tacos..yum!). Its my turn to read stories and we are more than halfway through "A Wrinkle in Time". The kids are loving it, and we are all looking forward to the movie which seems badass (at least the casting). Weekday evenings are mostly a grind, I'm trying to convince myself this will all be fun! And not exhausting and involve me counting down every minute until I can go to sleep.



5 comments:

  1. That's great to hear. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved everything I never told you and was also sort of underwhelmed by one in a million Boy which I had expected to really like. I recommend Celeste Ng’s first book as well; it’s great.

    Some literary page turners, for lack of a better term (but basically what I think Everything I Never Told you is), that I’ve enjoyed recently: the Leavers, Lucky Boy, Stay With Me, and the Power.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read her first book and did enjoy it, but not as much as the 2nd. Thanks for those recs, I haven't read any of them! Going to check if our library has them.

      Delete
  3. We, er... my husband made your lentil stew that you wrote about from last week. It was delicious! However, it was more stew-like than soup-like. Was wondering whether you added additional liquid? Thanks for posting! I forwarded him the African stew recipe as well. I love peanut based stews.

    ReplyDelete
  4. T5RX Unfortunately the Bench Press causes most injuries especially shoulder injuries. This article will teach you how to Bench Press with proper technique so you can bench more weight without injuring yourself. http://www.strongtesterone.com/t5rx/

    ReplyDelete