Monday, January 23, 2017

Case of the Mondays

I usually relish the clean start to the work week, but today kind of sucks, and I'd rather be home, warm and dry, rather than in my freezing cold office with wet socks and squishy rain boots, unable to warm up water for tea because the microwave in the break room is disgusting (the only thing tea is remotely good for is warming you up from the inside on a cold, rainy day). And dealing with annoying IRB modifications and mystifying data.

It was a great weekend, though. Busier than usual. Saturday I went to the gym, then rushed home to make signs with the boys for the Women's March. Oh yeah, I took the boys and we lasted about 45 minutes total, but we marched, we chanted, we saw neighbors, I answered lots of questions and explained a lot about inequality. It was good. Then some lunch and down time before heading to see "We Are In a Play" which was a thoroughly boring (to me) but clearly hysterical (to the boys) children's theater production. Then some more down time/board games/fighting and the SITTER ARRIVED so we could go on a completely unplanned (i.e. we planned to go out but not where we were going) date night. We had a drink at one place, Malaysian satay at another, and ice cream to top it off.

Sunday, I woke up at 5:30 despite going to bed after midnight. I couldn't fall back asleep, so I finished Truly Madly Guilty, which turned out to be not as amazing as it started off (the "big mystery" was a little mundane, though I still enjoyed the spot-on observations of everyday relationships). B & I went for our ice skating lesson, then we met G and L at the science museum for a play-date with L's BFF and his parents, who are lovely. We went through most of the museum until melt-downs began and we headed home. The boys enjoyed screen time while we finished up chores in the afternoon and something something and I went to bed by 9 (I was so tired, I have no idea what we did in the evening).

At your prompting (and you know who you are!), I logged off and changed my Facebook password to some random already forgotten, combination of letters/numbers/symbols and I'm not going to log back on for two weeks (randomly chosen to come before a few events for which the invites & details will be only on FB and I'd like to attend (this annoys me, but what can you do? for this reason I can't ever really LEAVE leave, but I want to curtail my random scrolling and have it be a more deliberate get on weekly or every few weeks to check on events). This includes a party a friend is having at her house, the neighborhood book group, a school PTA informational meeting, and a volunteer organization I was hoping to join that posts dates where they need people on their FB page. I'm trying to INCREASE real life socialization, not cut it out of my life!

Ugh. Better finish up work and head out there. Squish Drip Shiver Grrrr.

No comments:

Post a Comment