Monday, November 14, 2016

Halle-boo-yah

Back from my very short break. I also took a very short break from Facebook, which convinced me that I actually needed a longer break. I logged back in this morning and realized, after wasting way too much time scrolling and reading links and getting aggravated again, that I missed nothing of actual substance other than Joe Biden memes (which I will have to find some other way to hunt down, because they are hilarious).

The weekend was OK. There were good moments, like our fun and yummy date night dinner, my workouts, reading great books, playing board games with the kids. And there were meh moments, like B being sick and being a real pill all weekend, the freezing weather, realizing I forgot to cancel or modify our meal delivery for the week and that we were paying for and getting two meals I won't even eat (pork chops and steak).

I definitely need a take a step back from thinking/fretting/raging about politics and our country...for my mental and physical health. At the same time, I don't want to forget, or get complacent.  On the continuum between outrage and apathy, there is a healthy and sustainable place and I'm looking for it.

Being off FB, I didn't see the SNL performance until Sunday afternoon (and it definitely made me cry!) But before that, G had been playing music, and he was playing "Hallelujah", remarking that he'd never actually heard it before. I was flummoxed because he is a music buff and that song seems to be everywhere. It is one of my all time favorites and the haunting chords and lyrics really hit home for me right now. I played it on repeat all evening, so that L eventually began to sing along, though he heard it as "Halle---booo---yah".

Another week. Lets do it!

2 comments:

  1. I'm having a hard time with that balance, too. I want to DO something (and I have started a list). But at the same time, I want to be able to step back and enjoy life and not make myself sick. It's tough.

    All day yesterday, my kids were asking me "what's that song you're singing?" I pulled out my Leonard Cohen CD and listened to it in the car on the way to work. It's a nice throwback to college, for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That balance is so hard, but so important. But like you said to me once, obsessing without being able to do something about it is probably not the best use of one's resources. I think we need to figure out how we can best be of service, and then decide if knowing all the horrible nitty gritty about this presidency is going to be helpful to us. That is my problem right now, I want to stay informed, but every time I read anything about Bannon or the SEC or any of it I just get panicky and scared, or angry and hateful. I'm not quite sure how to proceed on the information front. But I do know that I need to do something tangible to know I'm being of service to those who need my help...

    ReplyDelete